This website has been created to present analysis of the Professional Snooker Tour. Please note that it is not intended to be a source of snooker statistics – there are already plenty of sites out there for this purpose. Instead, I will be using analysis to explore different aspects of the ranking system and the structure of the Professional Tour. More…
– Kyren Wilson came through the qualifying rounds to defeat Judd Trump in the final of the Shanghai Masters and claim his first ranking title.
– Ali Carter has defeated Shaun Murphy in the final of the Paul Hunter Classic, the second European Tour event of the season.
– Barry Hawkins has won the Riga Open, the first European Tour event of the season.
– John Higgins has defeated Martin Gould in the final of the Australian Open, the first ranking event of the 2015/16 season.
– Stuart Bingham has won the World Championship for the first time, defeating Shaun Murphy 18-15 in the final.
– My thoughts on the staging of qualifying events for ranking tournaments.
– World Snooker announce plans to introduce a ranking system based on prize money for the 2014/15 season.
|International Championship – Qualifiers||30 September – 3 October|
|Ruhr Open (ET3)||7 – 11 October|
Click here for the provisional 2015/16 Calendar of ranking events and other major events.
Click here for a list of tournament winners for the 2014/15 season.
The rating system I have created is based on a system devised by Arpad Elo to rank Chess players. I am not the first person to create such a system for Snooker, and I’m sure that I won’t be the last either.
The ratings are designed to reflect the strength of a player relative to all other players, so if Player A (rating = 1,000) plays Player B (rating = 500) then you would expect Player A to win twice as many frames as Player B. This type of rating system is in many ways the purest way to rank players according to their ability and I hope that it will be of interest to followers of the game. More…
The Top 8 in the Snooker Ratings at the end of the Shanghai Masters are:
The Top 8 players over the last 5 tournaments have been:
My intention is to report on my analysis in a way that is accessible to all readers. I encourage you to contact me if there is anything which isn’t clear and I would be happy to clarify or amend any posts.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any thoughts or suggestions about this site.
You can also follow me on Twitter