This website has been created to present analysis of the Professional Snooker Tour. Please note that it is not intended to be a source of snooker statistics – there are already plenty of sites out there for this purpose. Instead, I will be using analysis to explore different aspects of the ranking system and the structure of the Professional Tour. More…
I made a few changes to the site for the 2012/13 season in order to make the site easier for me to update, and easier for users to navigate.
- Stuart Bingham won the Dongguan Open to claim his first title of the 2013/14 season.
- Ronnie O’Sullivan has produced another majestic performance to defeat Ding Junhui in the final of the Welsh Open, making a 147 break to seal victory.
- Shaun Murphy has defeated Fergal O’Brien to win the Gdynia Open, his first victory in a ranking event since the PTC Finals in 2011.
- My preview of the 2013 World Championship
- My thoughts on World Snooker’s decision to introduce flat tournament structures from 2013/14.
- My thoughts on the staging of qualifying events for ranking tournaments.
- World Snooker announce plans to introduce a ranking system based on prize money for the 2014/15 season.
|Gdynia Open (ET8)||Completed||Completed||SHAUN MURPHY|
|Welsh Open||-||Completed||RONNIE O’SULLIVAN|
|Dongguan Open (AT4)||-||Completed||STUART BINGHAM|
|World Open||Completed||10 – 16 March|
|Players Championship Final||-||18 – 23 March|
Click here for the full 2013/14 Calendar of ranking events.
The rating system I have created is based on a system devised by Arpad Elo to rank Chess players. I am not the first person to create such a system for Snooker, and I’m sure that I won’t be the last either.
The ratings are designed to reflect the strength of a player relative to all other players, so if Player A (rating = 1,000) plays Player B (rating = 500) then you would expect Player A to win twice as many frames as Player B. This type of rating system is in many ways the purest way to rank players according to their ability and I hope that it will be of interest to followers of the game. More…
The Top 8 in the Snooker Ratings after the Dongguan Open are:
The Top 8 players over the last 5 tournaments have been:
My intention is to report on my analysis in a way that is accessible to all readers. I encourage you to contact me if there is anything which isn’t clear and I would be happy to clarify or amend any posts.
Please contact me at email@example.com if you have any thoughts or suggestions about this site.
You can also follow me on Twitter